Red Wing First Time Events Grant – Downtown Main Street and the Red Wing Port Authority in partnership with Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce and Red Wing Visitors and Convention Bureau
Downtown Main Street and the Red Wing Port Authority are seeking to support the efforts of local community groups, businesses, and organizations with financial and logistical resources to provide annual events in our downtown area and West End District. We are now accepting grant requests for the Red Wing First Time Events Grant Program. Applicants may apply for up to $3000 in matching funds to plan, market, and execute an event that is held in the downtown or the West End District. Events must take place between July 2022 and July 2023.
What does the grant program offer?
- A minimum of three grants will be awarded
- 100% cash match required with up to $3,000 available.
- 50% of funds to qualify for the matching funds can be in-kind donations (materials & labor)
- Expertise and guidance from Downtown Main Street and their Economic Development Partners (Red Wing Port Authority, Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce, Red Wing VCB), which includes a step-by-step handbook as well as assistance with submitting the necessary paperwork to the City of Red Wing.
- General event insurance from Downtown Main Street.
- Events with alcohol will be required to purchase the additional rider as needed. This additional expense is the responsibility of the applicant.
Who is eligible to apply for the grant?
Any organized committee that has an interest and desire to commit time, energy, and work to bringing an event to Downtown Red Wing or the West End District. The group can be composed of members of multiple businesses and/or organizations. Groups from outside the community are eligible to apply but local groups will take priority.
Deadline for grant applications and awarding schedule:
Applications will be accepted for events that will take place between July 2022 and July 2023.
Review and approval schedule:
- Applications must be submitted 30 days prior to the Red Wing Port Authority’s next board meeting which occurs on the first Tuesday of each month.
- The Economic Development Partners will each evaluate and score the applications. (Red Wing Port Authority, Downtown Main Street, Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce, Red Wing VCB).
- Grantees will be informed if more information is needed, if the application will be forwarded to the Port Authority for approval, or if the grant has been denied.
Grant application evaluation criteria and requirements:
Evaluators from Downtown Main Street and their Economic Development Partners (Red Wing Port Authority, Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce, Red Wing VCB) will independently evaluate the grant based on these criteria and rate each one from 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest). Each evaluator will provide a short feedback form for each applicant. Once scored, evaluators will meet to review score outcomes and determine who they will recommend to the Red Wing Port Authority Board to be awarded the grant(s).
- Location: Is the event located within the downtown area or West End District?
- Timeline: Grant funded events must take place between July 2022 & July 2023
- Does the committee have the experience that demonstrates their ability to plan and execute an event?
- Evaluate the proposed event to the following criteria:
- Alignment with Downtown Main Streets mission and vision.
- The uniqueness of the event – Is this a different and new idea that adds variety to current event offerings?
- Realistic timeline.
- The target audience meets the broader needs of the Downtown or West End District.
- Event activities are within the reasonable acceptance criteria for purposes of a Private Use of Public Property application.
- Their plan demonstrates it can potentially become an annual event.
- How likely can the committee obtain funding to meet matching requirements?
- Location: The event must take place Downtown or in the West End District. Consider the following locations which do not require the streets to be closed: alleyways, riverfront paths, vacant lots, and underutilized open spaces. Street closures are permitted but not preferred.
- Funds may not be used for:
- Food or beverages
- Permanent (depreciable) assets (tools, laptops, cameras, tables, etc)
- Pre-Event Documentation: If awarded, organizers must submit the following, no less than 60 days before the event. Funds will not be distributed without:
- A final budget with revenue (including in-kind) and expenses.
- Private use of Public Property (PUPP) application required by the City of Red Wing.
- Marketing plan describing how the Downtown Main Street and Red Wing Port Authority brands will be used.
- All receipts and invoices related to funding for the event.
- The marketing plan will support the goals for reach and attendance.
- Downtown Main Street and Red Wing Port Authority logos must be incorporated in any print and digital promotions.
- Websites, social media, or blogs must have links directly to the downtownredwing.org Red Wing First Time Events page.
- Promotions must state that the event is funded in part by The Red Wing First Time Events Grant – Downtown Main Street and the Red Wing Port Authority, in partnership with the Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce, and the Red Wing Visitor and Convention Bureau.
- Post-Event Documentation
- Any remaining receipts and invoices related to funding for the event.
- Summary of event attendance and other key metrics.
* Due to uncertainty with the COVID-19 pandemic, planning considerations may be necessary for applicants. This will be evaluated on an as-needed basis.
Complete the online application or download the PDF application form.
Click on the form to download the PDF application.
Contact Kim Lampe, Programs Coordinator